Flashing sources

Viso Systems Forums Light measurement Flashing sources

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dr John 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Dr John
    Participant

Hi folks,

Here’s a tricky one. From time to time I get asked to measure a flashing source- sometimes it’s an automotive tail light, other times it’s a visual alarm device. In all cases I need to measure the effective luminous intensity as a function of angle. This relies on being able to capture the pulse shape of the flashing source and calculate the effective luminous intensity. (There are various ways of doing this, which are summarised here:
    https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f036/43821a3b6bb30270491e31be10ed50a5dda7.pdf .)

Now, in my years of doing photometry and optics I’ve never come across an instrument that can do this consistently and generate traceable, verifiable results. It is possible to do this on a lab bench by gating a CCD array so that it measures in sync with the light source but this is time consuming and hence expensive for the end user. Does anyone here have any ideas as to how I could do this with the Viso or the LabFlicker?
    Gareth

Hi Gareth,

This is something we have been talking about a couple of times.

I feel like this is something that we should be able to do, but we havn’t tested it and we will have to look into it and do some programming.

But I will add it to our list.

Best Regards
    Anders

Dr John
    Participant

Thanks Anders, I look forward to hearing from you on this.
    Gareth

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Click here to login or register